Saturday, April 24, 2010

We bought our house 2 years ago at the end of March so we didn't really know or notice what was going on in the front yard.  There was still snow on the ground, so we probably just assumed there was your standard square of grass.

But as the first few weeks of Spring dawned, lots of little green things started poking out of the dirt, and when a woman knocked on our door one breakfast imploring us, as the new owners, not to destroy the glorious garden out front, we knew something was up.

April 2, 2010
April 24, 2010













In fact, what we'd inherited was nothing short of spectacular.  Great whooping poppies, tulips, sweet pea, clematis, sage, lilies, roses, iris, bleeding hearts, about a dozen things I can't remember and peonies the size of Volkswagens all explode out of the ground without fail.

But every time, just before it happens, I'm often found looking nervously out the window at the dirt, muttering "we've wrecked it...it's not coming back this year."

April 2, 2010
April 24, 2010













"Are you insane?" Suzanne repeats.  She's right of course...I don't think there's anything I could do to stop it, although last year we let the oregano go way too long and it nearly took over the whole place.

I'm the proud son of an excellent gardener and I've been given (that is to say, 'mortgaged myself to the eyeballs to purchase') this gift of a garden, so along with the honour of the gardener's blood coursing through me, I intend not to let it die.

1 comment:

  1. I hate the way you city slicker garderners are always weeks ahead of we suburbans diggers. I'm still chipping ice out of the birdbaths each morning, here in King City. BarrytheBirder

    ReplyDelete