Saturday, March 20, 2010

Great Moments in Kid's TV - Caillou's Daddy is The King

I won't lie and say Lily never watches the TV.  Often it's a bloody lifesaver.  

Daddy and Caillou, TCB
And I guess I shouldn't be surprised that, even at 2 and a half, she's developed favourites.  First it was Dora, then it was Backyardigans, and we're now on to Caillou and Toopy & Binoo.  
The molasses-esque pace and constant repetition of Dora drove me crazy after a while, and I hated Backyardigans from the start.  (against Suzanne's advisement, I told the Pearl that I didn't like it - now if it's on, she turns to me and says, 'you don't like Backyardigans...but you like Caillou') 

And yes, I do like Caillou.  There are those that say he's nothing but a spoiled whining brat, and indeed his voice can get pretty shrill when things don't work out. 

But my love for the show stems from Mommy and Daddy.  Caillou's parents are kind, gentle, sweet, funny, a little overweight, and almost infinitely patient. 

What really solidified my fondness for Daddy in particular is the episode where he's secretly building a bookcase for Mommy with Caillou's help.  Realizing he's forgotten to buy enough paint, he lays out a  plan:
"Oh no, I forgot to buy the paint, Caillou!"
"What are we going to do, Daddy?"
"Do you know what we're going to do?  We're going to take care of business."
"
We're going to take care of business, Daddy?"
"That's right - we're going to take care of business!" 
I must've rewound it 7 times, laughing with disbelief at Daddy's hip turn-of-phrase.  He's is far more Elvis Perkins than Presley, but for a brief moment, Daddy somehow channeled the King.  

The best part is that Lily now answers me with the line whenever I'm getting her ready to go somewhere...

'Okay, we'll get your coat and boots on and then do you know what we're going to do?'  
'Take care of business, daddy?'  
'Well, I was going to say get in the car and go to Grandma's house, but yes, we'll take care of business, too'.







Next time on Great Moments in Children's Television:  Toopy and Binoo are Gay and Fabulous!



2 comments:

  1. That's too funny! I think my son secretly wants me to leave my husband for Caillou's dad. As we were watching it the other day, there was a touching scene between C & his dad & my son turned to me & said "Aw, I wish that was my Dad"! I tried to explain the whole dynamics of humans vs. cartoons but he didn't quite get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this sounds stupid, but I really find the white soft border distracting.

    Don't get me started on Toopee and Binoo. Are they gay, or just French?

    ReplyDelete